TRADE PREFERENCE PROGRAMS
The African Growth and Opportunity Act (AGOA)
If you have any questions about this program, please contact Maria D'Andrea-Yothers at the U.S. Department of Commerce
Office of Textiles and Apparel at 202-482-1550 or by e-mail.
Summary of AGOA Apparel, Footwear, and Non-Textile Travel Goods Provisions
Quick Reference Chart of AGOA Provisions
AGOA Preferences: Country Eligibility, Apparel Eligibility, and Textile Eligibility (Category 0 and Category 9)
** Swaziland's apparel benefits were reinstated on July 3, 2018 however the country has not yet requested consultations with the USG to reinstate Category 9 benefits.
Instructions for eligible AGOA governments to apply for Category 9 Benefits
ITC Federal Register Notice Relating to Abundant Supply under AGOA (FR Feb. 2007)
U.S. Trade Data
● Utilization of Certain Tariff Rate Quotas
● Limitations on Duty and Quota-Free Imports of Apparel Articles Assembled in Beneficiary Sub-Saharan African Countries under the African Growth and Opportunity Act (AGOA). The new AGOA caps are for the one-year period from October 1, 2017-September 30, 2018.
● The Trade Act of 2000 Title I (AGOA I)
● Presidential Proclamation 7350 of October 4, 2000 to Implement AGOA I
● AGOA Interim Regulations, 2000
● Delegation of Authority (Executive Order 13191 of January 22, 2001) to Implement AGOA I
● The Trade Act of 2002 SEC. 3108 (AGOA II)
● Presidential Proclamation 7626 of November 18, 2002 (AGOA II)
● AGOA Interim Regulations, March 2003
● AGOA Acceleration Act of 2004 (AGOA III); Public Law 108-274
● Africa Investment Incentive Act of 2006 Title VI (AGOA IV); Public Law 109-432
● Presidential Proclamation 7912 of June 29, 2005 To Modify Duty-Free Treatment Under the Generalized System of Preferences and Certain Rules of Origin Under the North American Free Trade Agreement, and for Other Purposes
● Presidential Proclamation 8157 of June 29 2007 To Modify Duty-Free Treatment Under the Generalized System of Preferences, Take Certain Actions Under the African Growth and Opportunity Act, and for Other Purposes
● Andean Trade Preference Extension (H.R. 7222: Public Law 110-436, Oct. 16, 2008) -- Section 3. African Growth and Opportunity Act
● Presidential Proclamation 8323, November 25, 2008--To Provide for Duty-free Treatment Under the Earned Import Allowance Program, And for Other Purposes (including amendments to AGOA)
● Presidential Proclamation 8468 of December 23, 2009--To Take Certain Actions Under the African Growth and Opportunity Act
● Presidential Proclamation 8618 of December 21, 2010 – To Take Certain Actions Under the African Growth and Opportunity Act, and for Other Purposes
● Presidential Proclamation 8741 of October 25, 2011–To Take Certain Actions Under the African Growth and Opportunity Act.
● Trade Preferences Extension Act of 2015 (PL 114-27) – Title I, AGOA.
Announcement of Eligibility:
**Rwanda's apparel benefits were suspended on July 31, 2018.